Home

Mommy? Can I tell you somp-fing?


I love hearing Devin ask me that question. I know it's going to lead to a lengthy retelling of some event from his day and that it might take up a lot of my time, but I relish that. There was a time when I was convinced he'd never talk at all.

Devin has Asperger's Syndrome. While his official diagnosis didn't come until just after his third birthday, Andrew and I knew something was going on at least a year and a half before that. D was a pretty normal baby/toddler. He was very precocious and had quite the vocabulary. By the time he was a year old, Devin was speaking in full 3-5 word sentences and asking questions appropriate to the situation around him. And then, it disappeared. Seemingly overnight all his language, both receptive and expressive, was gone. We were blessed to have a wonderful pediatrician for D, and the ball started rolling on evaluations. After a few bumps in the road, including a move to Florida where nobody would help him, we landed in Wisconsin where we were finally able to get the help that Devin needed.

Today he's miles ahead of where he was even just a few years ago.  D attended a special education preschool program for two years, and that along with time spent with his brother JP over the summers helped his speech to skyrocket. He's quite the chatty guy these days, well, when he wants to be. I love hearing him tell me, in minute detail, how he played on the computer, or how he played a game on the Wii, or about a book he read to his Puffles. I especially love his questions. He asks things that I know I wouldn't have thought of when I was seven. I love every second of the chatter he fills our house with, and I wouldn't want it any other way.


3 comments:

Comments

I giggled the moment I saw your title. I get this question a dozen times a day. Love the energy of young boys. Your boy sounds like a gem. Great photo too!


Great portrait and I loved your post! Glad he is doing so well!


I know I tell you this just about every day...but I love D <3 I'm gonna smooch him, I swear it.


Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers